Thursday, February 18, 2010

On Indifference and the Media

I'm a little concerned at the indifference I've been experiencing lately.  Is my lack of opinion, an opinion?  After all, I spent the majority of my childhood developing thoughts and viewpoints in direct opposition of my conservative family, so to simply not care or not have an opinion is very uncharacteristic of me.

Take, for example the Tiger Woods scandal.  The media is in a huff right now due in part to his "public apology" tomorrow, and how it comes months too late. He cheated, so what? It happens every day by men and women across the country. Life goes on.  Some argue that he isn't being a "positive role model," for our children, but truth be told, he is an individual with exceptional talent that ultimately put him in the spotlight. He didn't ask to be a role model, that was assigned to him by each individual, case by case.  Don't ridicule him for being human.

John Mayer has also been shrouded in negative publicity over his interview given to Playboy magazine.  While I believe his comments towards the African American community were a little too extreme, his comments about the relationship he had with Jessica Simpson did not stir any feminist discontent within me.  Boo-freaking-hoo, people. This is a guy whose paycheck is based on his entertainment factor, and that's what he did- gave an entertaining interview to a magazine whose core audience is misogynistic in nature.

The biggest media scandal to which I truly fall indifferent to, is the article in Vanity Fair which touts Cincinnati as having nothing worthy of bragging about. A.A. Gill opened his review of the Creation Museum by writing, "It’s not in the nature of stoic Cincinnatians to boast, which is fortunate, really, for they have meager pickings to boast about." And the albeit minority, elitist community in Cincinnati have their panties in a bunch. One blogger went so far as to write a whole post on how Cincinnati is awesome-sauce, to which Vanity Fair responds with this article.  I find it all very laughable, mostly because I agree with A.A. Gill.  In its entirety, Cincinnati is nothing more than a handful of divided communities all playing a losing, close-minded battle in which community is the best.  Cincinnatian's don't embrace the city center or the notion developing a solid art program or a public school system.  Cincinnatian's don't embrace any hometown teams, unless their success garners national recognition.  It is a city of bandwagon-ers, a city of conservatives who are set in their ways, and a city of liberals who seek their status by shopping labels and dining by stars. 

I think my indifference is attributed to my rejection of it all. I'm becoming more of an independent daily.  And I kind of like it. Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment