Saturday, February 6, 2010

Introducing the 'Cin' City

Since I made the decision that I will be staying put in Ohio [for the time being], one of my top priorities is to explore and (re)discover my city, which happens to be Cincinnati.  Although I am currently living in the suburbs (eek!) with my mom (double eek!) Cincinnati is just a short thirty-minute trip away.  Plus, once I get a full-time job (ooooh positivity), I will be making my grand return to 'that nasty 'Nati.'

A lot of exciting things are happening, and I'm eager to throw myself in the thick of it and hopefully have a presence in the city.  Right now officials are really pushing for a re-urbanization of downtown, encouraging more people to live, work, and play in the city sector.  'Over the Rhine' is notoriously the bad part of town, and for decades it has been littered with drug dealers, violence, and an overall poor reputation.  Housing developments have pushed these people into other districts and a large re-branding effort has been launched.

One thing that I've always hated about Cincinnati is its division in neighborhoods.  There is a long-standing rivalry between the "east side" and the "west side," and which is better.  Truth be told, I think it's annoying, and I hate that you have to claim a side... why must I be one or the other, why can't I be an assimilation of the two?  While the east side is liberal, cultural, and educated- the west side is its polar in that it is conservative, more low-brow, and close-minded.  Not to mention Cincinnati's other neighborhoods that are often overlooked, like the Northside (the artsy/hipster/gay community).

Currently, officials are levying for a streetcar to be introduced in Cincinnati, allowing for easier, more streamlined transportation between the 'burbs and downtown.  It is my hope that a streetcar will also alleviate some of this tension between East and West.  If a thirty minute or longer commute can be shortened, or made more convenient, I would assume that more people would leave their individual communities, branch out, and adopt Cincinnati in its entirety.  I believe that Cincinnati has such a diverse hodgepodge of people, but everyone stays confined in their own homogeneous communities, which only furthers this childish rivalry.  It took moving to Los Angeles for me to be exposed to certain lifestyles, backgrounds, and cultures- anything from politics, style of dress, music preference, to cuisine.  The way I grew up is not the type of place I want to live in now that I'm back... it's 2010, Cincinnati! Let's broaden our horizons and teach our children indifference and acceptance!   Let's grow our minds, our opinions, and our palates!

Having lived and worked on the "west side," but feeling more aligned with the ideals and lifestyle of the "east side," I am making concerted efforts to explore all the city has to offer with an unbiased eye.  However, I am hoping that the future allows me to centralize my work, living, and leisure in downtown Cincinnati, allowing me to expand my activities in any direction I so please, any given day of the week.

What do you love about your city? 

6 comments:

  1. This is exactly how I felt about Ottawa, and before I left I took the time to visit everything like a tourist would. It was lots of fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live about 20 minutes outside of Seattle. I used to live in the heart of the city and I loved it. Always something to do, something to see...where I live now is nice, but it's a bit quieter. The thing I love about Seattle and the surrounding neighborhoods is that each neighborhood has a truly unique look and vibe, and everywhere you go there is immense beauty - you can see the mountains from almost anywhere, and there are several large bodies of water. And there is some really cool architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live probably 15 minutes from Tampa and I'm really not a big fan of my city, to be honest. I lived in Tampa for a while and hated it. It's not really a big city, although it tries to be. I'm just not a big fan of my town and cannot WAIT to move from here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stevie- I've been dying to visit Seattle, I am planning a trip this June. I just watched Love Happens this weekend, have you seen it? It made me really want to see the city!

    Stephany- I have relatives that live in Tampa, we used to visit them every summer but I haven't been in a few years. Can't remember there being a whole lot to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. well i live in orange county--which is rich white suburbia heaven. so-def not a great place for a twentysomething. however, this weekend blog boy and i went for a run around my neighborhood (which ive NEVER done) and i fell in love with the cute houses and the small-community feel...and you know, running with the beach in view, is not that bad : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey there, forgive me a million times if i've already commented and asked you this question! i'm nicole from my teacups in peony (pen pal project) you had signed up but not left your email, unless i skipped over it( again sorry!) this has been so crazy but i wanted to be sure i had your right email! email me back nicole.r.mountz@gmail.com thanks!!

    ReplyDelete