Friday, December 4, 2009

Best of 2009- Book

Book. What book – fiction or non – touched you? Where were you when you read it? Have you bought and given away multiple copies?


coffe and a book by broun_eyed_grl.


{via}


"People tend to think that happiness is a stroke of luck, something that will descend like fine weather if you're fortunate. But happiness is the result of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly." Elizabeth Gilbert

This was a year where I was reunited with the public library, rediscovered my passion for reading and writing, and even fell victim to the Twilight series. But without a doubt, the best book I read in 2009 was Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert.

Gilbert's memoir spent over a year at the top spot on the NY Times Bestseller's List, and with good reason. She chronicles her year-long journey of self-discovery and healing that took her from Italy to Indonesia to Bali, where she learned to love herself again, and most importantly, to love again.

Although I am at an entirely differently place in my life, Gilbert's words spoke volumes and my copy of her book is dog-eared and underlined all over. It is truly a book that I will continue to read over and over, and without doubt gain something new from each experience. While my eleven months in California pale in comparison to her more worldly travels, I whole-heartedly agree that depression can be fought without anti-depressants, that a little vulnerability and writing can go a long way.

Since finishing her book last spring, I have been itching to travel abroad and continue my journey in learning more about the world, and most importantly, more about myself. By appearances it may seem that I have taken a backwards step by abandoning California, but it is all a part of a bigger vision I have that sees me purchasing a one-way ticket to Europe and seeing where life takes me- whether it's a trip of a few weeks or several months, is yet to be seen. But I do know that it is imminent, and hopefully, life-altering.

Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love is set to hit the big screen in 2011, with Julia Roberts at the helm, and her follow up book Committed is due for a January 2010 publication. In the meantime, I've been admiring Jamie Varon's journey on A Life in Translation.


1 comment:

  1. Couldn't agree more! Loved this books!!! Didn't know they were making a movie based on it. Interesting. :)
    Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete