Monday, August 31, 2009

Smoky The Bear Says...

While the midwest prepares for its fall season with boots and ciders, Los Angeles is preparing for its fall season (otherwise known as fire season).

And as we enjoy our 300+ days of sunshine, we also must deal with water conservation and serious drought, which by summers' end can turn dangerous. I'm not sure how far the news spreads (although I should presume the Angeleno attitude and in that case, I'm sure you've all heard) but Los Angeles is on fire.

Literally.

Time Lapse Test: Station Fire from Eric Spiegelman on Vimeo.

How freaky is this video? It gives that crazy Mayan 2012 prophecy a very eerie feel, don't you think. But all kidding aside, this fire is dangerous! 105,000 acres have already burned, 12 thousand homes are threatened, and two firefighter's lives have been claimed. The air quality index in some parts of the Valley are the worst they've been in years, with levels well over 300 (100 is considered bad). My heart goes out to the families that have been displaced and evacuated, and the 50+ who's homes have gone up in flames.

It makes me very thankful that I live in one of the beach cities, where the ashen sky can only be seen in the distance, and the only disturbance it causes to my daily life is that my radio station doesn't come in because its tower is down.

Wherever you may be, whether your an Angeleno or in the midwest, please keep these families and firefighters in your thoughts and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment