Saturday, August 8, 2009

Bizarre at The Bazaar

I want a be a foodie. But, a foodie I am not.

At least for the time being. See, for the first twenty-some-odd years of my life, my diet consisted of fried foods, plain sandwiches, and chocolate. I think I spent every family vacation alternating between chicken finger baskets and hamburgers.

As I've gotten older, I've gradually introduced new foods into my diet, but still maintaining a rather picky palate. For instance, when dining on sushi, I stick to a spicy tuna roll or salmon sashimi. It was only in the past year and a half that I decided that I wanted to make a concerted effort in becoming more cultural and daring in my food decisions.

The trouble, aside from not knowing how to pronounce the majority of menu items, was not knowing where to begin. Luckily, I have a roommate that is a self-proclaimed foodie, and I'm learning the ropes through her. For those who have ever dined with me, or have tried to get me to try something and I have emphatically refused- you're not going to believe this, but it's true....

I ate caviar. And foie gras. And I loved it. [For those who are like my former self and do not know what these are/ caviar: fish eggs and foie gras: duck liver].


"Philly Cheese Steak" at The Bazaar by José Andrés
{Philly cheese-steak at The Bazaar}

To my surprise, I was invited to join my new co-workers for a client dinner this past week at The Bazaar in Beverly Hills. The LA Times gave the Bazaar a four-star rating, and I can definitely understand why, as it boasts some of the best flavors to have ever hit my taste buds.

The unique combination of flavors, preparation, and presentation is commonly referred to as molecular gastronomy-which pertains to
the mechanisms behind the transformation of ingredients in cooking. Head chef Jose Andres famously defeated Bobby Flay on the Food Network's Iron Chef, and he definitely brings the sizzle in the dishes offered at The Bazaar. World renowned designer Philippe Starck provided a visually stunning atmosphere-- our table in the Rojo Room was lit with bright pink LED lights, and don't even get me started on the bathroom!

If you are interested in trying nontraditional dishes (the foie gras was wrapped in cotton candy), I highly recommend visiting The Bazaar. However, if you are like me and are a foodie-in-training, I suggest visiting with someone who has a refined palate, has visited previously, or just researching on Yelp prior to your visit so you know which dishes are the most popular and the most delightful (I recommend the Philly Cheese-steak/see photo above).

Needless to say, reservations are hard to come by and once you do secure one, prepare to spend a pretty penny (I promise it's worth it, though). Hopefully, I will be returning soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment