Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Don't Send The Search Party

Don't be alarmed. I am still here. My Google reader continues to be my number one checked website, aside from Facebook. I just haven't been blogging.

A large part of it stems from a conversation I had with my dad about separation of personal and private life, which led to me making my previous blog completely private, and removing the link to this one from all social networking sites.

But then it just turned into me not writing- because I don't know how to write what I feel without being personal. I can't mask the emotions, whether good or bad, they are the reality of this stage of my life. A stage that is full of contradictions. A stage that is a measuring stick of where I am relative to others, or rather, where I am not. And of course, the ever present question of where I want to be. But it also is a stage that I share with millions of my peers, and by documenting all the highs and lows I've found that I am not alone in my confusion.

In my blogging absence I've done a lot of soul searching and examining new goals and directions, new friendships and old ones, too. In the last month I've teetered between being ready to pack everything up and go home, and the next instant I'm flooded with all the memories that chased me out of the Midwest. It's the conundrum of fearing the return to entrapment by way of a small town, but not being able to find my footing in the big city. I can envision perfectly the life I want, yet I am struggling to see it through.

Perfection, it's always been my problem. My expectations are always set high, perhaps too high so that failure is always within reach. I stopped writing because I feared people would see these flaws through my words, and I hid behind the intermittent comments of praise and positivity that I litter the blogosphere with.

While I gathered so much inspiration from all the creative, positive, and lovely bloggers that have quickly become a daily read; an anxiety began to settle-- I had so much to say, to write, and was ashamed that I couldn't emulate such beautiful, uplifting posts. At least not every day.

And so, maybe it's best to separate the personal from the private. But I've never been one do what people say is wise. I am known best for my stubbornness and defying common sense. But at the end of the day, what I write is not fodder for dismissal in a professional setting, nor is it worthy of scandalous chatter. It is life through my eyes, as a twenty-something. Sometimes it's positive, and other times the depression settles in. But it is real. And it is me.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome back--I missed your entries.

    Please don't think I'm creepy. I'm learning a lot from your writing. I have a 16-yr old daughter who makes my life a roller coaster ride. Hearing about your ups and downs really gives me perspective.

    I'm probably your father's age and I go through some of the same things that you write about. I think that life's a never-ending journey in search of a pot of gold that isn't really there. You've heard it--the gold is in the journey, not the destination. I hope you keep searching for it and sharing what you learn.

    I wish you the best!
    CincyDave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being real is the only way you should be! It is hard to separate blogging and privacy. I don't have any real life friends that read my blog and I don't tell anyone about it either just for that reason. Some people would flip if they read what I wrote about them on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cincy Dave- I do not think its creepy at all, and it's always reassuring to hear that my words and my stories are helping others, albeit in small ways. I had a pretty easy adolescence as far as moodiness, and I laugh to think that my twenties are more than making up for it!

    ReplyDelete