Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Connecting the Dots

Anyone who has been following my blog lately, or knows me in real life for that matter, is pretty much aware of my hesitancy when it comes to my career- or lack thereof.  Throughout college I had one goal, and that was to work in professional sports.  I worked hard- I interned, I went to grad school, and I achieved my goal- spending two and a half seasons with two different professional baseball teams.

One day, I woke up and it wasn't what I wanted to do anymore.  In the beginning, I blamed it on the fact that I wasn't working for my hometown team anymore, and I didn't have the passion.  But the more time I spent away from the world of sports- the more I discovered that I really just didn't want to be a part of it anymore.  While my last full-time job, albeit out of the sports industry, was probably the best corporate culture anyone could ask for, my job satisfaction was a near minimum, and some days just depleted.

So when a good friend of mine asked me last week if I wanted to go to a networking event with her, I cringed.  A room full of people who are going to ask me what I do, and what I want to do when they realize I don't do anything? No thank you! But in the name of spending time with a friend, away I went--into the crowded bar filled with name tags and business suits.

I was pleasantly surprised that the first conversation I had ended up lasting all night.  Sure, it began as "So, what do you do?" and immediately I felt my face flush and my voice stutter, but luckily he picked up on these visual cues and quickly changed the conversation topic, "So, what brought you back to Ohio?"

So began my night discussing international travel, holistic healing, thinking outside of the box, and connecting the dots.

Tumblr_kvp2v4zh3o1qap8hso1_400_large

Once he determined that I wasn't expressing interest in the sports company he had connections to, he asked what I liked to do.  As always, I quickly responded with my go-to answer, "Well, I like market research and analyzing why consumers do what they do. But I like the creativity of advertising and shaping that behavior."

"You seem very analytical."  I nodded, but was thinking how he could come to such a conclusion after five minutes of meeting me. "But you also seem very unsure of what's going to happen next."  Now he was on to something!! I nodded my head in vigorous agreement.

"Can I get deep with you? See, I have a theoretical mind [it was a tech networking event], but a very holistic heart," he explained.  I was intrigued, here was a guy in a bar wanting to have a stimulating, intellectual conversation.  Granted, he was married, very much over my age limit, and I was not in the least bit attracted to him-- but it is very rare that I meet anyone at a bar that I want to spend five minutes talking to, let alone a deep conversation.

He continued, "Do you know that only 1 in 5 Americans own a passport?  I think that this experience has happened to you for a reason, and I think you should take this opportunity to travel."  He whips out his iPhone to show me pictures of his most recent trip to New Zealand. "Most people wait until they're retired to travel, and it's a shame.  Do you still have a student ID? You can travel so cheaply, just show your student ID and you can stay in a hostel for $5 a day. New Zealand is the safest place to backpack for single girls. The hikes there are amazing."

Stop. The. Presses.

Someone is encouraging me not find work right now, and go travel the world? Someone in Cincinnati? The center of all things conservative?

"That's so amazing!" I reply.  "I've been wanting to travel for awhile now, I just don't have the money saved up.  And everyone seems to think that it would be a foolish thing to do.  But one of my old bosses has family in Auckland.  And my old roommate wants me to go to Thailand with her in March. Honestly, I just want to travel the world."  This conversation was on to something. Something good.

He says, "five years from now, houses will still be here.  Cars will still be here.  Jobs will still be here.  Your life will change the day you see the moon from the other hemisphere. Seriously. Of course people are going to tell you not to travel, not to do these things.  It's because they're jealous- because they can't do it, or they're afraid to do it.  Life is about thinking outside of the box.  Go connect the dots, you seem like you're well connected, I'm sure you know people all over the world."  Come to think of it, I do.

At this point, my friend interjects and the topic turns to nationality.  I claim that I am German, a perfect Aryan (blonde hair, blue eyes) but that I most often get mistaken for being Russian or Slovakian-  but now that I changed my hair color up, people really aren't too sure what to think.  My new networking friend seems puzzled and asks, "Why did you change your hair color? It looks really natural this color."

"Because I was bored, I don't know. I like to change things up."

"Can I get deep with you again?"

"Sure."

"I'm a holistic healer, and I noticed right away that you had a very positive zen about you. That's why I came over to talk to you.  You are very centered, but you have a lot on your mind that is holding back.  You need to let it all go, and follow your dreams.  I think I know why you changed your hair color, but I'm not sure if I should say so."

"No, please do.  And I'll tell you if you're right."

"You changed your hair color because you want people to see the inner you.  You are beautiful on the outside, but your core is so much more beautiful."

Jaw. Dropped.  I don't know anything about zen or holistic healing or anything of the sort.  But this new friend, a complete stranger at that, hit the nail on the head.  I'm always annoyed at being stereotyped as the tall, skinny, blonde. A size zero on a 5'10" frame with naturally blonde hair... it gets old.

"You're exactly right, seriously, I'm not appeasing you."

"You know what it means? It's a sign of self-esteem.  High self-esteem.  And you know what, people outside of America, they see people at their core.  They're going to love you."

I'm now on a mission to find my old student ID. Oh, and to get my passport.

4 comments:

  1. What a fantastic blog. This makes me want to travel more often. I'm with you, I want to see the world! I want to explore every continent and photograph everything I see. I'm really excited to see where life takes you. Definitely get yourself a passport!!

    Also, as soon as I was done reading your blog I started looking at flights to New Zealand. haha I want to go NOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Go get your ID and your passport and then head out into the world and explore! :) Never been to New Zealand, but I've really only heard great and good things about it, so why not?! Go for it!!!!! :D I'm so excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely story! I adore your blog already. And yes! Get that passport!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope this travel thing works for you! he's right, i'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete