Thursday, January 7, 2010

Are You Lost?

I have a tendency of following television shows, only to get really mad at a story-line and stop watching.  A la Alias, circa season five, when all of a sudden Michael Vaughn wasn't really Michael Vaughn and became a guest star instead of a series regular (most likely due to the IRL break-up with Jennifer Garner).

Most of the time, when new characters are introduced I get bored or annoyed (because character development is paramount to me) so shows like Grey's Anatomy? Yeah, I stopped watching.  Shows that revolve around high school I try to avoid, one-because I'm not in high school anymore, but two- because they can't survive the post-graduation season (I'm talking to you, Gossip Girl).

Basically, I'm a TV show snob, and usually my loyalty is unwavering, but under one condition... good writing.  So when I sat down to watch the season 5 premiere of Lost last winter and basically wasted two hours of my life while they regurgitated past story lines with a new "present-tense" twist, I got fed up, turned off the TV, canceled the DVR recordings, and quickly became an ex-Lost viewer. They lost me.

Pun! [Now that's good writing!!]

Thanks to Facebook and Twitter, though, each and every Wednesday night without fail, my social media experience was inundated with status updates on the awesomeness of Lost.  I stood firm that I wouldn't watch, especially after missing a couple of episodes into the season, there was no way I would understand what was going on... I mean, have you ever watched this show?!


Now, apparently all the shows that I do watch are on hiatus until March. MARCH! Whatever happened to the February sweeps?  And no new TV + unemployment = boredom.  I finally watched the missed episodes of season five of Alias, and I wasn't disappointed-- J.J. Abrams is a genius.  Which got me thinking that he was behind Lost, which was why I started watching it in the first place. [Speaking of JJ, I never watched Felicity...]

At any rate in all this insomniac blabbering, I went out and bought season five of Lost, which is totally messing with my OCD because I own the first two seasons, but not the third or fourth, but I only had money to buy one boxed set.  Ideally, I would love to catch up from the very beginning, since I barely remember what happened at the end of season 4.

Then I found this gem of a video.  And laughed-out-loud at the snarky commentary.



I wonder if it's possible to go into Lost overload, because I'm sure I'll start watching this season and not be able to stop.  I'm already enough of an insomniac as it is.

And a note to President Obama: I love you, I do, really.  But please, please, schedule your State of the Union address for a date other than February 2nd.  If this season is really as good as everyone says it to be, I might die if it's pre-empted.

3 comments:

  1. I was really surprised the way they turned the main lead into the guest star. Michael has done a good job in all the Alias episodes he has appeared in. I can't see a reason in what has been done with his role in the show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't watch Grey's Anatomy until the second season because everybody else liked it and I couldn't be like everybody else.

    I didn't start watching Lost until The Ex and I decided we needed a show to watch together instead of fighting over Grey's Anatomy or The Office. (I'm also pissed at Grey's, story line has gone to shit )HOWEVER, I am a HUGE Lost fan. and am super thrilled for this last season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi amanda, i just read your comment on my blog. you reminded me of something that i toooootally forgot to share. i think i need to edit the post to include this information. i, too, have no health insurance and not much money. after searching and SEARCHING like crazy, someone told me about a website that you should really considering looking at. it's called needymeds.org

    you click on the name of your medicine (you can choose a search for generic or brand name drugs), and a bunch of different programs come up that help people get that specific medication - people who don't have much money and no prescription coverage. sometimes you can get your medication for FREE, and other times the price is significantly reduced....like seriously, by a lot.

    it's something to consider. it seems like there are always options available to people without insurance and not much money...they're just really well hidden.

    ReplyDelete