Sunday, November 21, 2010

Budget Friendly Meal for One

One of the biggest challenges of grocery shopping on a budget is the misconception that fresh produce, meat, etc is too expensive. However, I have found that keeping a keen eye on your weekly ad can do wonders for your wallet and dinner plate. Coupled with my obsession with coupons, I can easily buy 2 weeks worth of groceries for under $50.

Yet another challenge I face when it comes to healthy eating, is that I have a penchant for laziness. While I love to cook and bake and spend time in the kitchen, for the most part I want immediate gratification. After a long eight hour day in the office, I don't want to wait for my dinner. These are the nights I opt for frozen dinners (high in sodium) or eating out with friends (not budget friendly).

Luckily, I have found a recipe which has become one of my go-to meals because it's quick, easy, and relatively affordable-- think under $10 (given that you have most of the ingredients already) and I usually make enough to have leftovers the following day.

What is it you ask?

Sauteed Mediterranean Tilapia with Smashed Garlic Red Potatoes

http://images.marthastewart.com/images/content/pub/everyday_food/2008Q4//med104078_1008_talapia_l.jpg
[Recipe and photo source here]


The end product- my food photography/plating
skills are to be desired


I usually modify recipes to my own liking, and so I add shallots and black olives into the mix- putting them in at the same time as the tomatoes and tilapia filets.

For the smashed potatoes, I use one clove garlic and about one pound of red potatoes (usually 4 big ones)- I slice the garlic and cube the potatoes and bring to a boil for twenty minutes. Drain and add a 1-2 tablespoons of butter and 1/4 cup of skim milk, and salt and pepper to taste. The fun part is to use the masher and mash, mash, mash away. Quick and easy.

Often times my grocery store throws 3-lb bags of russet potatoes on sale for less than a dollar (seriously!)- I've often substituted smashed potatoes for Parmesan crusted potatoes- and it's just as simple! For this, just slice/cube 1-2 potatoes (skins on), mince 1-2 cloves of garlic, add 1 tsp. of finely chopped fresh rosemary. Toss potatoes, garlic, and rosemary in olive oil so it's lightly coated (subbing vegetable oil will make the skin crispier). Put in baking dish and top with fresh parmesan- bake at 450 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

Voila! A quick, easy, and budget friendly meal for one. Trust me, if I can afford it and successfully make it, anyone can.

Budget break down
Tilapia- 2 fresh filets- $2
Garlic clove - $0.50
Tomatoes- $3.99
Canned black Olives - $1.29
Arugula- $3.99
Lemon- $0.50
(capers, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes always on hand)
Potatoes - $1.00
(garlic, milk, and butter always on hand)
Total: $12.27
*note that you will have leftover arugula (good for salads) and this makes enough for two people (or enough for one leftover meal)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment