Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Kids Are All Right

While I occasionally fall victim to blockbusters and romantic comedies (I'm looking at you, Morning Glory) my heart will always belong to art house indie films. A double nod of appreciation if it's subtitled in English. It's not so much that I would call myself a film buff, it's just that indie films don't approach life with a rose-colored lens. They're honest, and real, and usually have a great score.

This weekend The Kids Are All Right finally reached my Fios on Demand box, and I eagerly settled in for a Friday night movie. Mark Ruffalo has been one of my favorite actors for quite some time, and I think he was brilliant in this movie. The film truly depicts a modern family- but without the comedic flair and Emmy award. Plus- it opens and ends with two of my favorite artists, Vampire Weekend and MGMT- and the set design was to die for.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef0134859372dc970c-pi
{via}

Have you seen any good indie films lately?

3 comments:

  1. I really liked this movie too, mark ruffalo was such a babe on his motorcycle. Have you seen Flipped yet? It should be coming out on dvd soon, so so cute. Also, I loved City Island with Andy Garcia+Julianna Margulies.

    Some of my favorites from the past include Vera Drake, In America, Life as a House+House of Sand And Fog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just thought of another good one I saw recently, Please Give. There's a couple really funny moments in that movie. Oh and have you ever seen The Squid and the Whale? The kid in that movie makes me laugh hysterically no matter how many times I watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the suggestions! I will have to add them to my Netflix account... I've been wanting to see The Squid and the Whale, but always forget about it when I'm trying to decide on a movie!

    ReplyDelete