Sunday, October 24, 2010

Life Unexpected

Last we spoke I was well on my way with my first of ten goals inspired by 10-10-10.

But then, as it always does, life happened. And I got sidetracked- or for dramatic effect- derailed.
I was finally taking initiative on my spending habits knowing that in six months I could be faced without a job once my contract expired at work, should they not pick up the position permanently. I wasn't expecting that four short days after brainstorming ways to save money, I would be unemployed.

Yes, unemployed. I got the dreaded 4:45 "we need to speak with you," meeting and subsequently the figurative pink slip. My position was no longer needed. Effective immediately.

I must admit, I handled the news with great composure. No tears were shed. No angry words were muttered. Simply a smile and words of reassurance as my colleague who delivered the news is also a great friend. I tidied up my belongings and left with no goodbyes.

And here I sit, a week later, the immediate after-effects of shock, panic, disappointment, and sadness have dissipated; a new call to action is emerging. Resumes and cover letters have flown off my fingertips and into the abyss that is the job market- a handfuls of interviews have been scheduled and completed, and I'm proactive and determined enough to not let this hiccup get me down.

I also must consider that everything happens for a reason, that I was reaching a level of boredom and complacency in my position, as I do with most jobs, and I was questioning what it was, exactly, that I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Perhaps now is the chance, to follow new dreams- to pursue something new- to seek out a challenge that I once cowered from.

What I do know for certain, is that I need a job relatively quickly, otherwise this California living is in jeopardy- and run back to Ohio I will not. I also know that my temporary derailment will not be complete abandonment from my 10-10-10 project. I still have more money-saving tips to post about, and I am excited about my other eight goals. For now, I'll just have to skip 4. Be more focused at work as it is no longer relevant, and other goals may shift in shape and scope as they relate to money spent.

This upcoming week will focus on goal #3- practice yoga and/or meditation as I hope it will help me strike an internal balance as I cope with this recent bout of unemployment.

How do you deal with unexpected news?

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about that! But, I believe everything happens for a reason and these hiccups are merely doors opening and chances for new opportunities. I have no doubt that good things are in store for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow, that is a major bummer. The rumor mill has started churning lay-off whispers at me, so I know I will be prepared, and while a part of me wishes they would just lay me off today because i HATE THIS JOB WITH A PASSION, the other part of me knows that I will be fighting back tears when it's actually done.
    I am so proud of you for being proactive and turning this into a positive. The saving money thing may be a little harder but maybe this was an extra push and a shove you needed to really explore a career field you're interested in : )

    ReplyDelete