Thursday, July 30, 2009

(500) Days of Summer

One (of the many things) I love about living in Los Angeles, is that I do not have to wait to see 'limited release' movies. I can't tell you how many times I was excited for a movie to come out while living in Cincinnati, only to have to wait many more weeks for local theaters to pick it up, or worse yet, until it was released onto DVD.
That being said, I was eagerly anticipating the theatrical release of 500 Days of Summer featuring Joseph Gordon Levitt and Zooey Deschanel, both of whom I adore. Last week I convinced my mom that she, too, would love it- and that it would be worth the drive in LA traffic to go see it (the closest it was showing to me was The Grove). And so we did.

And I loved it. Just as I knew I would.

(Photo: Chuck Zlotnick/Courtesy of Twentieth Century Fox)

Viewers beware. It is not your typical romantic-comedy Hollywood type film. Which is, precisely, why I loved it so much. There are so many terrible 'chic flicks', all predicated on the notion that we are guaranteed our happily ever after. While some may argue that the entertainment industry is a form of escapism from the realities of not living our 'happily ever afters,' too often than not we still believe that they will happen. And movies such as 500 Days are quickly labeled 'indie,' given recognition at film festivals like Sundance, and not widely accepted into mainstream culture.
Levitt and Deschanel both gave lovely performances in the movie, both characters are relatable and lovable, as is the dynamic of their relationship. Apparently, there was concern over Levitt being "too intense" of an individual to play a romantic lead- but I think he did a wonderful job displaying an array of emotions (loved the dance scene)!
New York magazine wrote a great piece on the film and Joseph Gordon Levitt in its summer issue (June 29-July 6). [online version can be found here]. The article reiterates my argument that rom-coms are loyal to form, not to experience, and that this film captures the real essence of a twenty-something romance; as a phase in your life, when love dodges expectations. And haven't we all experienced that 'one great relationship,' that turned out to be nothing of the sort? Perhaps I'm just jaded.
I definitely give the movie two thumbs up, and will be sure to catch it again when it is released on DVD. Also, check out the soundtrack, it was full of great tunes!

1 comment:

  1. I've been dying to see this movie and it just came to our theaters! Can't wait to see it, especially now :) I also really liked the article on Gordon-Levitt, thanks for linking to it!

    ReplyDelete