Tuesday, July 13, 2010

On Finding Balance

"I used to think that one day I'd be able to resolve the different drives I have in different directions, the tensions between the different people I am. Now I realize that is who I am. I do feel I'm getting closer to the song in my head. I wasn't looking for graces. But luckily grace was looking for me."
Bono, as quoted in Rolling Stone

The last few weeks I've been stuck in a rut. I initially blamed it on feeling under the weather, but quickly figured out that I'm running myself thin- jumping from one social engagement to the next, I've ignored what should be my biggest priority-- myself.

It's true that there have been countless moments where I've felt the need to pinch myself. To take an extra five seconds for a deeper breath of the fresh, beach air. Holding back the desire to hug everyone around me and never let them go. I am so grateful that I get to call California home, because I never thought I would have this opportunity again. I am very lucky, and I am very happy.

But somewhere in the last few months, I've lost the clarity I had rediscovered- about myself- who I am, what I want, and where I see my life a year from now, five years, ten years. I replaced my "me time" with happy hours, pool parties, and late night dancing. That's not to say that I can't enjoy spending time with my friends- but I need to find the balance between having fun and being responsible and focused on what's important.

And that balance, is where I will find my fleeting happiness.


No comments:

Post a Comment