Monday, October 5, 2009

It's a Season of Change, Fall is Here

The blinds danced against the window pane this morning as tendrils of the crisp, fall air filtered into my bedroom, driving me deeper under the covers. And for a brief moment, while I lingered in the last stages of sleep, I felt a sense of familiarity creep up on me. Perhaps it was the evening spent in front of the fire place, tucked under a blanket and watching Away We Go, my newest favorite indie film to truly capture the meaning of love. The first fire of the season. So when the day should have been met with a groan and a snoozed alarm clock, a slow smile spread across my lips. Fall had finally arrived in Los Angeles.

And in those fleeting moments this morning where the warmth of the night was giving way to morning, I forgot about every worry that has been plaguing me. I wasn't a twenty-something searching for answers, for an identity, or for a sense of security. I was just another girl awaking to embark on her routine day, cherishing the chance to see the another clear blue sky, and even a little bit of my breath in the cool air. A reminder that no matter where I am in life, or in the world, change will always find me.

The horizon may no longer be peppered with sunset-painted leaves, afternoons may still be too warm for the enjoyment of a pumpkin-spice latte, and boots and scarves may be tucked away in closets for a few more weeks... but today, the little part of me that has been aching for home, stopped and appreciated the home I have made here in California.

2 comments:

  1. Aww, that's kinda how I'm beginning to feel about LA too. It's not quite home-home yet, but it's a nice step in that direction.

    ReplyDelete